Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Refreshing Gelato

This evening I wanted something sweet and refreshing. Ice cream was out since I'm lactose intolerant, but I craved that cold, creamy goodness. Sherbet sounded good, but it's a dairy product too. What's a girl to do? Da-da-da-daaaa! Gelato to the rescue! I know what you're thinking, isn't that just Italian ice cream? Yes and no. Fruit gelatos are water based, so there is no dairy in them. WOOT! It's similar to sorbet (another traditionally dairy-free
dessert), but the gelato-making process gives it a creamier texture. It's not a perfect substitute for ice cream, but it will satisfy the craving. If you've never had it I highly recommend you give it a try! I got this lovely dish of strawberry gelato from Rao's Bakery, a local Southeast Texas establishment. Heaven on a plastic pink spoon! I was unable to find nutritional information on the particular gelato I had, but here is some information on a comparable strawberry gelato.
This gelato gets 5 happy bellies! It's delicious, smooth, refreshing, and inexpensive. A small cup is $3.95 and a large cup is $4.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment