Monday, July 2, 2012

First Steps



It isn’t easy to break a lifetime of bad habits, but that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. For years I had suffered from unexplained stomach pains and sickness. The first step to feeling better was the realization that I am lactose intolerant. Going dairy-free was difficult for me… I love ice cream, milk, and cheese, but for the most part I made it work. I found I had a threshold and as long as I didn’t cross it, I was safe. Then a few years ago the same stomach issues crept up again, regardless of whether I had eaten any dairy or not. My doctor tested me for a litany of illnesses, including Lupus. When all the blood-work came back negative he suggested allergy testing. That’s when I found out I am allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, oats, and rye. Are you kidding me?! OK, no real baked goods, that’s a given. So what CAN I eat? Most wheat-free products still contain eggs and dairy, or they use oats as an alternative to wheat. Then to add insult to injury, many products seemingly unrelated to wheat have it in them anyway. What gives?? Unprocessed meats, fruits, veggies, rice, beans, and nuts are safe for me. They’re my “go-to” ingredients for meals, but what do you do when you just can’t shake those cravings for bread or cookies? You hunt for a substitute!


I’ve tried all sorts of alternatives and have found a few favorites, but there’s a lot I’m still learning. I hope that this blog will not only serve as a way for me to chronicle my journey, but also as a way for me to share the lessons I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment