Thursday, August 9, 2012

Galumpki (That's Polish for Cabbage Roll)


My Ukrainian grandmother made the most delicious galumpkis. I can remember how excited my brother, sister and I would get when we would find out that Gram had brought us a batch. Ohhh and I can still remember how the smell would fill our nostrils the moment we walked through her door. Grandmas' houses always smell like good food, don't they? I did my best to watch my Gram make her famous galumpkis and learn from her. I know I can never quite match the flavor of hers, so I don't try. She gave me a base to build on and I've learned to make them my own, to suit the tastes of my husband and myself. Gram didn't have a recipe written down, as is the case with most good dishes that have been handed down through the generations. This is my best attempt at what my grandmother taught me during the short time I lived with her.

This recipe makes roughly 10 rolls. Double all quantities for a larger batch.
Ingredients
1 lb ground meat (my grandmother used 2 lbs - one lb each of ground beef and ground pork)
1 cup cooked rice (white is what Gram used, but brown rice will work too)
1 egg (optional)
1 head of cabbage
1 green bell pepper
1 can tomato soup (some recipes use tomato paste instead)
Garlic powder to taste
Onion powder to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Remove the core from the cabbage and boil the entire head of cabbage until the outer leaves start to become transparent. Set aside and allow to cool. In a large bowl combine ground meat, rice, egg, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and 1-2 tablespoons of tomato soup. Carefully pull apart cabbage leaves keeping the entire leaf intact. Stop when the leaves are too wrinkled and firm to peel off. Cut remaining head (inner core) into 1/4 and save for cooking. Cut the top off the bell pepper and scoop out the seeds. Fill with meat and rice mixture and place in the center of a baking pan, crock pot or pressure cooker. Form a meatball-size portion of meat and rice into a log shape and place on the leaf near the core end of the leaf. Fold core end of the leaf over the meat mixture and roll about half way up the leaf. Fold in the sides and continue rolling until you get to the end of the leaf. Place in pan (or whatever device you are using) around the stuffed pepper. Cover with remaining tomato soup (or paste) and 1 can of water (can substitute stock). You can add garlic, onion, salt and pepper to the tomato mixture as well if you choose. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. If you're using a pressure cooker this process takes about 20-30 minutes. Cook on low 4-6 hours in a crock pot.

If you prefer spicier food add some cayenne or red pepper flake to your meat mixture. I have also had success adding spice mixes like Tony Chachere's.

2 comments:

  1. Gram was a great cook. Miss her. Galumpkis, chicken soup with the egg noodles kept separate, carrot cake. MMMMMM! Makes me smile that moms house kind of smells like hers when she's got a pot of something cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gram was a great cook. Miss her. Galumpkis, chicken soup with the egg noodles kept separate, carrot cake. MMMMMM! Makes me smile that moms house kind of smells like hers when she's got a pot of something cooking.

    ReplyDelete