Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust

I love pizza. I mean, who doesn't? So you can imagine how my mouth was watering when Korry (my husband) came home with leftover pizza from his lunch. Ugh! It looked delicious, smelled amazing, and had my taste buds working overtime just dreaming of eating a slice. I hadn't had "real" pizza in... well forever. So, I gave in and ate a slice. Yeah... I'm still paying for that mistake. Believe me, it tasted AMAZING, but it just wasn't worth the days of bloating and cramping and just feeling yucky.

Thankfully, due to the generosity of Bob's Red Mill, I was given the opportunity to have pizza again, but this time without the stomach upset! I have tried a few pizza crust mixes over the last year and some worked well, while others... not so much. The biggest issue I've had is with the crust sticking when it's baked. The worst of which was my first attempt when I tried to bake the pizza on my pizza stone. Bad move! I had to soak my stone for 2 days to get it off!

Bob's Red Mill's Whole Grain Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix is pretty good! It's the first crust mix I've used that actually started with yeast (take not if you're sensitive to yeast, this is not the product for you). The dough is not difficult to make, although it is a bit tricky to handle. I strongly recommend following their directions. That's what they're there for, right? The most important things to remember are to handle it with wet hands and grease your pans thoroughly! The dough is very sticky (which seems to be a common thread with GF doughs) and will stick to your hands and pan if you don't take these precautions. Also, this is not a dough to be rolled or stretched like a traditional pizza dough. It's just a different creature altogether. You have to press it onto your pan, so if you have a pizza pan with aeration holes you might want to consider using alternate bake-ware. The directions recommend baking the crust for a bit first and then adding your toppings. After handling the dough, I can see why. It would probably end up a bit of a mess if you try to cook the entire pizza at once.

So how does it taste? Very good actually! Korry ate it with me, and he even commented on how good it was. In fact he said it was the best bread product we've tried yet. The crust was crispy on the bottom and edges but soft in the middle. I was able to get 4 small (pie pan size) crusts out of one package. There was no funky aftertaste or weird sandy texture. Bob's Red Mill's GF pizza crust is just a great product. I will definitely use it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment