Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Picky Eater Who Came to Dinner (NY Times)

This article from the New York Times made me angry! With the rise in food allergies and intolerances more people have a legitimate need for dietary restrictions, but even if you make them by choice, it is YOUR responsibility to meet those needs, nobody else's. I don't expect people throwing a party to learn how to cook for my needs. How is that fair to them, and why would I want to risk them making a mistake? If I find myself in that type of situation, I make sure to bring at least one dish I know I can eat. Where restaurants are concerned I either research the restaurant beforehand to make sure they have allergy safe choices, try to find something on the menu that would require the fewest number of substitutions, or I don't go out to eat. Plain and simple. 


I hate to be the one to break it to ya, but the world owes us nothing, and we really aren't entitled to have our needs met by anyone else but ourselves. When people get an attitude about their food because they're trying to make some kind of statement, or take a stand, or just assert their personal beliefs... they put people with legitimate, even life threatening, food allergies in danger. The more difficult they make things, the less accommodating people will be in the future. Let's have a little more consideration for each other and be a little more responsible for ourselves, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment