From Balanced PlatterThis recipe has a lot of ingredients, but sounds awesome! The original site has some great information about the benefits of garlic. Check it out!
¼ lb Organic Bacon (nitrite free), cut into ½ inch pieces (such as Applegate Farms)
3 lb bone-in, skin-on organic chicken pieces
1 tsp salt, or more to taste
½ tsp pepper, or more to taste
1 tablespoon: olive oil
1: large organic yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 pound: organic carrots, sliced diagonally in 1 inch pieces
8 ounces: artichoke hearts, in water, drained
½ cup: fresh organic mushrooms, left whole (I used Baby Bella’s)
1 ½ cup: dry white wine (I used an organic white from Napa, however, you can use a 12 oz bottle of gluten free beer instead of the wine – lends an awesome flavor if you are not sensitive to yeast)
½ lb organic fingerling potatoes, halved OR Sweet Potatoes cut into 2 inch cubes
1 ¼ cups: gluten-free organic chicken stock, or homemade bone broth
2 teaspoons: fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons: fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1: bay leaf
10: cloves organic garlic, thinly sliced
1/3 cup: green onions, sliced white and green parts
3 cups: brown rice or quinoa, cooked
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in a heavy 5-quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Add the olive oil to the drippings and brown chicken in the Dutch oven turning once, about 5 minutes total. Will most likely have to do it in batches so you do not over-crowd the pan (add a little more olive oil, if necessary). Transfer chicken as it is done to a plate and set aside.
5. Add onions and cook until soft and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add carrots, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and potatoes and cook for a few minutes more, until they start to caramelize and brown a bit.
6. Add wine (or beer) and deglaze the pan with it by scraping off all of the delicious browned bits. Then add chicken stock, rosemary, basil and bay leaf and stir well.
7. Return chicken, along with any accumulated juices, to the Dutch oven and spoon vegetable mixture over the tops of the chicken. Cover and transfer to the oven.
8. Cook for about 45-50 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add sliced garlic. Return to oven for another 15 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove bay leaf from pot.
9. Spoon chicken, with its vegetables and sauce, over the brown rice or quinoa and serve garnished with green onions.