Monday, July 16, 2012

The Sensitive Eater's Lament

Adjusting to food allergies, sensitivities, intolerances, is not easy. Thankfully, I'm blessed to have a very supportive and loving husband who considers my struggles with food when he makes his own food choices. When we go out to eat, he often refuse to order foods he knows I can't have because he doesn't want to eat them in front of me. (I know... Awwww!) I think it's incredibly sweet that he wants me to be successful and doesn't want to taunt me with the very foods I crave. I guess he's noticed me drooling as I watch others munch on their cheesy, doughy, goodies. Now I can tell myself until I'm blue in the face that those foods aren't healthy anyway, but they just look sooo good sometimes... and I think they know it. I swear I saw a cupcake wink at me the other day! Cheeky confection!

So, while I'm thankful for a loving husband, I hate the idea that I'm depriving him of foods he's able to eat. It seems ludicrous to me that he should eat according to my needs. What's a girl to do? Thankfully my cravings for such temptations is beginning to subside. Hallelujah! So, when I say, "No, it's OK. I don't really want it." I mean it... well most of the time. The other part of the time I'm just saying it out loud in an attempt to convince myself that I don't want or need it. In the meantime I suppose it's just going to be a balancing act... and I'm not very graceful. As I quietly mourn the foods I crave, I will continue to encourage my husband to eat as he normally would... and he will continue not wanting to tempt me. Sigh... The bright spot in all this is that at least it's a pretty benign problem to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment